It is time to bring a Spearfishing Tournament back to Carolina Beach. Down here in CB we are a tad more relaxed than those WB boys, so we are going to keep it simple and fun.
No bands, fancy prizes, or cheerleaders, just good times and some good ole fashioned spearfishing action.
- Saturday - Sunday, June 4th – 5th ***Open to Scuba and Free Divers***
- Inlet Watch Marina - 801 Paoli Ct, Wilmington, NC 28409
- Entry Fee:
- $30 Cash
- Blue Water:
- Mahi Mahi
- African Pompano
Schedule of Events:
- Day 1 - Friday, June 3rd – 6-7pm at Inlet Watch Marina (Captain’s Meeting)
- Day 2 - Saturday, June 4th - 5pm to 7pm Weigh-In
- Day 3 - Sunday, June 5th - 1pm to 2pmWeigh-In
- 2pm to 3pm Awards Ceremony and Food Truck!
Administration and Weigh In: Greg Woodby
Sponsorship and Prizes: Greg Woodby
Operations and Finance: Dewey Preast
$30 Cash at the Captain’s meeting
No late entries or walk-ins will be allowed. All competitors must bring their entry fee in cash to the Captain’s meeting with their registration & liability form signed.
If you cannot attend you must send a friend or agent on your behalf with your forms signed.
Grouper: (Black / Gag / Red / Scamp / Yellow mouth)
Blue Water: Wahoo / Mahi Mahi / Permit / Tuna- Yellowfin / Blackfin / False Albacore/(Mackerel: King / Spanish / Cero / Bonito) Cobia /AfricanPompano
***It is the Participants Responsibility to ensure legal species and sizes, NC-DMF may be present***
- You can weigh one fish per division per day; one point per pound will be your score for that fish.
- You can replace that fish with a larger one within that division on any consecutive day.
- Your final score within a division will be based on your single highest scoring fish.
- You can place in a total of 6 divisions and qualify for the Caleb Batson Award.
- Caleb Batson Award score calculation: Total Number of Scored Fish multiplied by Total Weight.
- Lionfish is a Bonus Division, score will be based on Quantity of fish collected, not their weight.
- Caleb Batson Award (TBD) + 4%
- 6 Divisions: 1st = 10% Money, 2nd =4% and 3rd = 2%
- Lionfish: Prize TBD
- You are not officially registered until the Entry Fee, Liability Release, and Entry Forms have been received at the Captain’s Meeting
- Official Start Time is 4:00 am Saturday morning. Leaving before this time will be grounds for disqualification.
- Only one fish per division can weighed per day. (Lionfish does not apply)
- You can only knock out a previous score with a larger fish within that same division.
- You have to weigh your fish on the day it was taken, no hold-overs. All fish must be shot within daylight hours.
- Weigh in times are: Saturday 5-7 pm, and Sunday 1-2 pm. All fish weighed must come in at the tournament weigh station. If you are not on the dock or inside the Inlet Watch Breakwater you are not considered present. You or your agent may come via land but the rules still apply. If your agent is late then you are late, no call-ins. The official time will be kept on the weigh in computer. No other devices will be used for official time keeping.
- We ask that ALL participants be present for the Awards Ceremony for prize awards. Prizes will not be mailed to participants you or your agent must be present to claim your prize.
- It is the participant’s responsibility to have a valid NC Fishing License at the time of the Tournament. All NC and Federal size limits must be adhered to. If the individual intends to hunt Tuna all federal and state requirements must also be met.
- Do not give another competitor a fish to weigh. Gentlemen’s rules apply.
- No Blowout dates. Prizes, awards, and cash would be distributed in a way specified by the Tournament Officers at the Awards Ceremony.
- Commercial boats are allowed for charter, however all hunters must be working from the NCDMF recreational limits. During the tournament the charter boats cannot engage in fishing operations other than the activities of our competitors. In other words, they cannot operate under their commercial license during the tournament.
- North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries may have agents from the research division taking ear bones for research purposes, though not mandatory, we ask you to please participate in their study.
- Lionfish are a venous species, if you decide to hunt them please take proper precautions. If you do not know how to hunt them safely then please do not. They are edible and delicious however.
- This Tournament is for non-profit purposes. Costs of Tournament will be deducted from entry fees prior to prize awards.
- We are going to try to get a food truck for the Awards event so bring some cash….
Rules of Conduct:
- Once again, this will be a Gentlemen’s (and Ladies) Tournament and as such we expect our participants to act accordingly. By the way guys, there are some ladies here that can shoot, very well if we might say so. If at any time we find anyone’s conduct unacceptable we reserve the right to eject him or her from the tournament as well as future events. Entry fees will also be forfeit. Please respect our other participants, officers, and sponsors.
- Pre-size your fish on the boat and bring only your biggest fish to the scales. Please do not bring multiple fish of nearly the same size to the official scales. Invest in your own hand scales or share one with others on your boat.
- Do not use the dock to spread out your catch, it might do wonders for your ego but some may find it offensive. Please be respectful.
- Respect other boats, both in the tournament and those that aren’t. There is no spot that is yours so respect others that may already be fishing. If you are fishing make allowances for others trying to work the same area.
Inlet Watch Marina:
Inlet Watch Marina has agreed to host the Tournament because of personal relationships the officers have with the Marina. As such we ask that you patronize the Marina as much as possible.
The Inlet Watch parking lot next to the club house is for members only with a valid pass. During the tournament, parking for participants will be allowed in the yacht club guest parking. The lot is the gravel lot you pass on the left as you enter the Marina. Please park here and walk down to the water unless you are dropping off your cooler. There is an unloading zone beside the club house. Cars parked elsewhere without a pass are subject to towing FYI.
Please respect all marina rules. Carts are available for use at the marina entrance and are for equipment only. Fish must be transported in a cooler. Please return the carts to the cart storage location at the marina entrance.
Fish cleaning stations are available in several locations. Please be respectful of other marina patrons. If non-tournament patrons wish to clean fish please do not monopolize the cleaning stations. Also, please clean the area after you clean your fish.
Do not park your boat at the boat lift staging areas. We will have designed areas to drop off your catch for weighing. The dock staff will try to find us room to dock our boats during weigh in. Try to bring extra fenders for your boats in case we need to “raft” at the dock. They can likely find an empty slip for you to use while you are there for weigh in or the awards ceremony. Do not use a slip that the Marina staff has not permitted you to use.
If you need dockage for your boat for the weekend you can arrange this with the Marina at (910) 392-7106